"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

when the dog bites, when the bee stings.

rub a dub dub,
3 men in a tub.
or 2 plus max.
chase gets beat up.
but he holds his own,
and secures his own territory,
sometimes multiple territories,
and he drinks all of the bath water.
it's gross.
brennan and max love to wash his hair.
they especially like to give him "weird hair."
and then request their own to be done the same way.
sometimes he has to hold his breath,
chase,
not his hair,
and he almost always end up swallowing even more bath water while they do it.
but he never cries.
ok, almost never.
what a little champ:)
i let them soak in the suds like this until chase starts crying 
b/c i won't let him dump another cup of water out of the tub again,
and then the other two get to play a little while longer while the dirty bath water drains,
and by the time i have chase all lotioned, dressed, and hair combed,
max is crying, and brennan is demanding a towel for his eyes.
these are a few of my favorite things:)
...
"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad..."

i can remember my aunt mary singing this song to me 
when i was a little girl, 
trying to fall asleep in my grandparent's house in iowa.
i don't remember if it was summer or not.
i just remember laying in the bed by the window,
the tree just outside,
with the hall light dim in the background,
and her dark curly hair,
great big smile,
and hardwood floors.
i tried to sing it to brennan and max while they were falling asleep tonight,
but i always get lost at bright copper kettles and skip to brown paper packages tied up with strings.
it works out awesome that my kids don't know the words.
that way i can skip around to girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
and snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
{my VERY favorite part},
b/c i always forget the cream colored ponies and silver white winters,
but i always
always
always
remember
the chorus.
and when the dog bites.
and when the bee stings.
and then 
i don't feel soooooo bad!
{ly}

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I love all the songs from that soundtrack!

=)

Amy said...

That song is a classic. Love the hair. Moms are allowed to make up lyrics or skip whole verses.