"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Friday, September 11, 2015

the story of how i DID NOT MEAN to can 38 quarts of peaches

this is the story 
of the 38 quarts of peaches 
i didn't mean to can.
here it goes...
our peaches ripened on our tree.
all 5 of them.
{thank you frost.}
sean said brigham city peaches and peach stand.
and i said two boxes, 
unless you can help me with an extra box for the peach raspberry jam?
this is what i said to him when he called from the peach stand.
and he was all "yeah! of course!"
{famous last words}
we like to can together you see.
so he bought three cups of raspberries too.
i was SO excited.
long story short,
sean went to take a nap to get rid of his headache,
{usually this requires ibu profien, a coke, and an hour snooze}
so i said i'd get started doing all of the prep work while he took care of his headache.
next thing i knew,
sean was barfing,
having hot and cold flashes,
body aches,
and i had three boxes of peaches we actually PAID for 
that had already been skinned, pitted, and halved.
and 4 kids at home on a sunday.
with a breastfeeding newborn.
it was either can them by myself or throw them all away.
i just wanted to cry,
but instead i put my shoulder to the wheel,
and let my kids watch movies for the rest of the day.
it wasn't pretty.
and at one point when dean didn't want to go to bed for the night i considered waking my neighbor andrea up in the middle of the night to help.
i did not, and dean finally fell asleep in the swing.
around midnight sean woke up for a gatorade and some nyquil,
and maybe i made him a piece of toast???
i can't remember...
38 quarts later at 1:30am i never wanted to see another peach in my whole entire life.


i'm sure glad i have them now,
all happily stacked downstairs in the cold storage by the water heater,
but i don't EVER want them to happen like that EVER again.
ahhhh!!!!
...
i give you,
my peach recipe,
courtesy of my neighbor julie who taught me how;)
the pictures make me laugh! 
notes: i don't make the syrup. i boil a pot of water and put 1/8c sugar {bc i don't really see why it needs any sugar really, but julie said to so i did} 
with 1/2tbls fruit fresh in each quart {so they don't turn brown in the bottles over the winter}, 
stack it with the peaches, and THEN ladle in boiling water to the half inch head space line.
no mess. you're welcome. also, process an extra 10 minutes for utah altitude.
if you want to learn the ins and outs.
there's only one rule to canning.
the the is: FOLLOW THE RULES. 
TO THE T.
that's the only rule;)
the end.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I bought 3 boxes, and then promptly got sick for a week, and they rotted on my counter. Rotted to the point that they had liquefied and were oozing out all over the place, and I just cried. I was too sick to can them, and I wasted all of those lovely peaches, and all that money. I am so glad you got yours canned. You are superwoman!